“In truth, attempts to regulate the civilian possession of firearms have five political functions.
(1) They increase citizen reliance on government and tolerance of increased police powers and abuse;
(2) help prevent opposition to the government;
(3) facilitate repressive action by government and its allies;
(4) lessen the pressure for major or radical reform; and
(5) can be selectively enforced against those perceived to be a threat to government.”
– Raymond G. Kessler, Lawyer, sociologist, professor Dept. of Criminal Justice, Sul Ross State University.
There are countless apocalyptic movies out there, but the most instructive is a little 1962 programmer called Panic in Year Zero!